Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bucket lists, Bulls, and more Basque

We arrived in Pamplona yesterday afternoon. The street in front of our very nice hotel was filled with folks of all ages dressed in white all with the requisite red scarfs around their necks and hips. This place is totally immersed in the Festival de Saint Fermin' that's Festival of the Bulls to you and me. The streets are packed and everyone has a drink in their hand. As we checked into our room I inquired about acquiring a balcony space where I could see Keith Run With The Bulls. When I checked online in the US I saw spaces available for about $200 dollars, I had resigned myself that I would have to pay this ridiculous fee as I was not going to miss this once in a lifetime experience. I was so happily stunned when I was told a space could be procured for $35 Euro, about $50 US. Perfecto. I was given an address, a name and instructed to arrive at 7:30 am as the bulls run at 8. After we dropped our bags in our suite, which is really very nice we headed out to get the lay of land. It was chaotically festive. There were brass bands on every street as well as drummers at every turn. People gathered in groups singing Spanish songs. Everyone in white and red. It was very warm out which was an excuse for everyone including us to have a drink. Keith wanted to walk the route he would be running the next day and I wanted to find the apartment I was to report to for my balcony space. We did both and got a bit lost on the way back from the hotel. I was hot, tired, hungry, and thirsty. Not a good combination. We opted to split up for a few hours, a good idea for sure.
Things quieted down slightly in the town for a few hours, then it got crazy . Lots if very drunk people. During the day there had been families with children and grandparents, very sweet. The night brought lots of young men full of testosterone and beer as well as women. The bars were overflowing. The trash in the streets, plastic cups, broken glass ect was building up. We had a light bite, a few drinks and were back in our hotel by midnight, early for us. Just as well as we had to be up by 6am. 
The big day arrived. Finally. I was nervous , Keith was so pumped up. He put on his outfit, carefully chosen. White skinny jeans, white shirt, red sash, red scarf, red Basque Beret, Basque pendant, white tennis shoes purchased in France. He was set. We kissed each other goodbye, I wished him luck , and we agreed to meet back in the hotel when it was over. 
Off I went to an apartment in a great spot  to view the run. I arrived almost an hour early cause I was nervous about getting lost. The entrance to the apartment was on the far left Plaza de Castillo, a central party spot. It was disgusting! People had been partying there all night, Thousands of festival goers, many were still there. Men were peeing all over the place with abandon, I saw more than I wanted to. I saw more than a few Women puking. The ground was covered with trash and the smell was awful . I found a bench that  looked like it was ok and waited till 7:15 I was anxious about going into a strangers  home, I was afraid Keith would get hurt, I was a bit of a nervous wreck. I rang the bell and the door clicked and up the staircase I went. I was greeted by a lovely older gentleman who greeted me warmly.  He could not have been nicer. After I gave Javier my 35 Euros He showed me to his balcony and told me something in Spanish which I did not understand. Soon I was joined by a family of two little girls and their parents, all from Barcelona . We were all staying at the same hotel. The children spoke a bit of English and did the translating for me. It turns out that Javier was trying to tell me there was coffee and cookies set our for us and I should have some before the run started . I was too excited to eat anything just then, but how sweet of him, I mean really , very nice. 
It started right at 8am. First a hoard of runners, lots of yelling, then the bulls running    fast and furious. They were huge and looked justifiably pissed off. Lots of people stumbled and the runners kept coming. Then I saw him. The red beret set him apart. I called out to him and he heard me! He looked up, shouted my name, waved his newspaper at me and kept going. What a thrill. He looked out of his body excited. He was 12 years old again. I'll never forget it . I have it all on video. After all the runners went by all us balcony people ( 2 balconies, 10 people went inside and watched on the TV the bulls and runners enter the ring. There was a stampede and several were injured. Finally, I said my goodbyes and met Keith at our hotel. He was so hyped up and gave me a blow by blow of every twist and turn. He had a blast. We had breakfast as we were both starved, I had churros that were out of this world. and took a nap. More on the rest of the day later. Pics posted are of Keith, me and the Balcony people and Javier. I love you Mom. Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. Janet, you should be a highly paid international CNN reporter...what a brilliant job of describing the activities in Pamplona...I hardly have to see that video...NOT! we will bring wine and a Del Taco dozen or two tacos to your home any time you say...we can not wait to see that studly husband of your running with them there bulls...

    ReplyDelete