Friday, July 5, 2013

Lots of Boobs, a Few Ferraris, and our First Fourth of July in France

Our dinner at the Lesieur's was lovely. It was very generous of them to host 30 Americans.Their home was beautiful, I could picture it in Santa Barbara or La Jolla. It was strange being with people I normally only see in San Francisco in the South of France. Just weird but wonderful too. We all kept saying "can you believe we are here together ?"  Anyway it was a fun night. On Wednesday I HAD THE DAY TO MYSELF! Much needed I might add. Keith and I are getting on well but it was time for a break. I spent the morning shopping for a straw hat in the boutiques by the beach. The irony being that I left my favorite straw cowboy hat at home cause I didn't think it would work in France and all they have here are straw cowboy hats. I found one that was relatively reasonable. Let me just say that everything is so  so expensive, shockingly so. It is double of what it was eight years ago when we were in Europe. I expected the French Riviera to be pricey but it is crazy how much everything is.  A casual lunch for two is easily $ 60 US dollars. A pair of sandals that back home would go for $30 is $65 here. But as Keith says a hundred times a day " there is no practice life we might as well enjoy it". After my hat acquisition  I had a delicious omelet at a little bistro followed by a day at the pool. While I was relaxing Keith was playing golf in Cannes at a course the European Open is played on. He said it was beautiful and completely enjoyed himself. Later that evening we had a very French dinner at Le Jardin which was recommended to us by the Lesieurs. I started with a sea Breen tar tar, followed by a very fine veal stew. For dessert I had chocolate mouse wrapped in sponge cake with more ganache on top. All were accompanied by champagne. We supped with my sister Judy, her husband Joe, my cousin Tina and her son GianCarlo. Afterwards we walked about 30 minutes back to our hotel. 
I have not mentioned it yet but the weather has been terrific, sunny but not too hot and not very humid either. This is the best weather I have ever experienced in Europe. We got lucky.
On Thursday we spent the day at the beach. All the hotels have private beaches and for about $35 a person you get set up with a very comfy lounge chair, and you can have food and drink brought to you if you wish. The water is perfect, very refreshing but not too cold, and it is very clear and clean. It is great fun to people watch here. First off there are tourists from all over the world and you hear so many languages. Children laughing and playing in French, Italian,German, Dutch and even Russian is so adorable. Then of course you have women of all ages sun bathing topless. From young to old, boobs are everywhere.  I think this is marvelous. If men can why can't we? It so prudish to insist women cover up.  Late in the afternoon we got this weird fashion show. This young woman and man came to our little beach with bags of bathing suit cover ups . She would try one on and model it up and down the beach, then change into another one and do the same. He would instruct her on how to wear it and how to pose. We were cracking up. They made only a few sales but it was very entertaining. After a very relaxing day we packed it up and headed back to get ready for a Fourth of July Party hosted by Delphine's Grandparents. We were asked to dress in red white and blue patriotic stuff. It was about 6 blocks from our hotel to their home and there were about 30 of us, it was like a Fourth of July Parade !  This home was fantastic and they could not have been nicer. We all had a good time. At the end of the evening Keith led us all in singing the National Anthem. It was surprisingly emotional , many folks had some tears. It was touching. 
More later on about our day today and hopefully my pictures will load. Right now my Brother Paul and sister in law Nada have arrived in our room with a bottle of wine which is calling my name. Love you Mom.
Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour you all,
    I'm not sure what happened between your first post and this one...I know...we were semi invaded by a couple of our daughters and their kids, two daughters and four grandkids for the 4th of July BBQ and fireworks show in our little town...they all got here on Wednesday and as of this morning they are all still here...I take the littler kids down to our pool and watch them while I read...and drink...
    I love your post so much even tho I get hungry as hell after reading them...the meals and snacks you have are killing me but fun to read...talking about reading let me tell you how enjoyable I find it to read you Janet...you have a lot of Janet Evanovich in you as well as a bit of James Patterson...It's actually more fun to read several of your blogs one after the other...it's much like ending a chapter and having to read the next one right away...
    and I liked all your photos especially the one of Keith's butt...a great shot...
    more later...

    ReplyDelete