Friday, July 12, 2013

Last Day in France

Our last day in Biarritz was bitter sweet as we hated to leave. It really is a lovely spot and I hope we can return. We spent the first part of the day at their beautiful beach. Unlike Antibes, there are no private beaches in Biarritz, we bought an umbrella with a Basque design, a towel and we were set. It was perfect beach weather Biarritz is known for surfing and there were lots of boards in the water. We had so much fun playing in the surf. The Atlantic was warm, and the sand wasn't too rocky. Keith got a hot fog for us to share, nothing like an American dog. The sausage was long and thin and it was wedged in a perfect baguette. The dog was dressed with mayo, ketchup, and a  smidge of mustard. Yummy. 
After the beach we split up to do some shopping. I'm not into shopping at all but I gave it my best shot. Because this was our last night we really wanted a special dinner and we certainly had one. We found a place near the water. We saw these two men with this tower of seafood at their table and we told the waiter we wanted the same. It was so extravagant . There was lobster, crab, prawns, mussels, oysters, clams, a few kinds of shrimp I had never seen before as well as sea snails. We did our best but could not finish it all . But we tried, we did. It was fresh and delicious, a bit messy too. They do not serve drawn butter but instead they serve it with mayo. I remember my idol Julia Child   Doing the same. I'm a believer now. We washed it down with a bottle of Rosé , crisp and refreshing. It is very popular in France. For dessert we had this traditional Basque cake that
was so different. When it was presented I thought "crap I made a bad choice" I was very wrong . When I cut into it this creamy pudding like golden lava oozed out. It was almond flavored lusciousness, like liquid marzipan. Oh my. Very satiated we walked along the beach back to our small but charming hotel room. What a great way to end our stay in France. That was yesterday, today we are back in Spain, in  Pamplona . Tomorrow Keith Runs With The Bulls. Stay tuned. I love you Mom. Peace out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment