Sunday, July 14, 2013

Easy Breezy

After an early afternoon nap we ventured out in Pamplona in a direction we had not gone before. There were still a lot of people, but manageable. More families and less rowdy. This town like so many European cities is made up of squares or plazas. Every few blocks you happen upon one. Some might just have a few benches under shady trees, others will be lined with cafes, bars, and shops. Still others will have a small playground for children. We love these spaces and take time to sit, have a drink, and just people watch. In the evenings we usually take our nightly ice cream in a plaza. Some of them have elaborate fountains or other forms of public art. They are lovely places to pass the time. Anyway, we spent some time in a plaza this afternoon made some friends. Then we happened upon a park that had venders selling street food and National dishes like paella and lots of items with some form of pork. There was a stage with a large band playing music, songs which all the Spaniards knew the words to and the crowd was singing along. There were large shade trees and under them tables and chairs just begging for us to sit in so we got some food, beverages, and stayed awhile. We ordered way too much food due to language difficulties . Keith ordered chicken with potatoes and I got these little fishes that were fried whole. You just popped the little guys in your mouth, bit off the tail and chewed the entire thing. They were very tasty. They were so small the bones were no problem and the heads were surprisingly good, softer than the body. I tasted Keith's dish and the chicken was good but the potatoes were great, fried tender chunks. We took our time walking back to our hotel cause it was hot as hell. We were pooped so Keith took his second nap of the day, the beer and excitment of the run caught ip with him and I read. At this point I was done with the crowds, the festival and all that went with it. I had a great time but I was done. 
When Keith woke up he wanted to go out one last time. He went solo. Let me just summarize by saying he ended up playing drums with a band, got lost even though he was only a few blocks away from the hotel and I assisted him to bed. Enough said. The boy had a good time, all was well.
As I write this we are back in Barcelona as we fly home tomorrow. We drove 300 miles from Pamplona through the Spanish country side. It was very relaxing, very little traffic and we only made one unintentional 30 minute detor in the beginning but got back on track. We made several stops and had a great lunch, lamb shanks that were excellent . Well seasoned and the meat fell off the bone. So good. Keith returned our BMW Countryman Sporty car that we put 1750 miles on in 16 days. It had 6 miles on it when we got it. We broke it in properly. He also purchased another suitcase because ours were too stuffed well over the weight limit 
This has been a trip of a lifetime, spending time with family, a beautiful and joyful wedding, visiting new places, making new friends, eating food that will wreck us for what we have at home forever. Most importantly, spending time With Keith. People often think that we are  so different but what they don't know is that at the core of who are as people we are very similar. We enjoy each other immensely, we are kind and considerate of one another . He gets me and I get him. So, to have him to myself  for almost  3 weeks is a gift. 
I am happy to be going home. I miss my friends, my dogs, my bed, and even American TV. I want a taco and figs from my tree. I look forward to not living out of a suitcase and lugging stuff around . We leave for the airport at 4:30 am tomorrow  and will land at LAX  at 1:30 pm Cali time.
I will do a  wrap up blog on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks for joining me on this trip. As always, I love you Mom and will see you soon . Peace Out.

2 comments:

  1. Hard to believe your vacation is almost over...I'm gonna miss commenting with you two...
    OK, about today's blog, I loved the sardine snack the best...I eat them all the time and could almost taste how good they must have been...most people would not have even tried them there fishes...
    I enjoyed your travels, sights, refreshments, descriptions and photos... you are a fun couple and fun to read...hope we can get together one of these days...xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet~thank you for your wonderful posts! I love living vicariously through your travels. See you soon.

    Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete