Monday, July 1, 2013

Gaudi more Gaudi and the double decker bus

On Sunday, our first full day in Barcelona we got an early start which began with the breakfast buffet at our hotel. I do not understand why we cannot have this quality of food in the US. Really. Everything was so beautiful. The fruit, the Iberian ham, mortadella, salamis, smoked salmon, cheeses, breakfast pastries, quiches, and on and on. All of it fresh and appealing. Any day I can have mortadella for breakfast with a chocolate croissant is a good day. 
The first thing we checked out out was Gaudi's Sagrada Familia, a cathedral that has been in the making for over a hundred years and will not be completed for many many decades. It is spectacular and the number one tourist attraction in Barcelona. It was mobbed. Tons of people. We did not wait the four hours to go inside. Instead we jumped on one of those double decker  buses where you can get on and off and with the audio  tour get a good over view of the city. We have done this all over the US , in Italy and Paris. It is an efficient and pleasurable way to see as much as possible. 
The first stop we got off at was Gruell Park. This was a thirty five acre park designed by Gaudi who was very inspired by nature. It was whimsical, and seussical, I mean those two would have been soul mates. Gaudi was a dreamer and his architecture is rich in symbolism. This park was beautiful and there was something to see at every turn. To get there we had to walk up four steep hills. Not my favorite thing but good for me I know. It equaled out my mortadella consumption . There were these buildings that almost looked animated, colorful mosaic tiles imbedded in the walls, domes suspended by pillars and shimmering glass in unexpected places. It was wonderful. We sat at the cafe in the park and watched a flock of parrots as they flew from tree to tree. I heard at least 6 languages spoken and that was just while I was waiting in the Q for the ladies room, which by the way had no paper( note to self always have tissue on hand). There were different gardens throughout this vast park and we did not see all of them but we saw a great deal . There were musicians all over and Keith of course had to stop,hear, and introduce himself to each of them. He just cracks me up . 
After over 2 hours we left the park and got back on the bus. We spent the next 4 hours taking in Barcelona. If is a lively and gorgeous city. Ancient and modern coexisting in harmony. Buildings a thousand years old and lots of public art all very modern. They invest a lot in design and are very proud of their artists. Spain on the whole is going through a difficult time economically.  They refer to it as "the crisis".   I am impressed by how much better the general population is informed about the global economy and world politics than most Americans.This is true for cab drivers and waiters as well as university students. 
At about 3pm I hit a wall, hard. I just ran out of energy. I had only gotten about 6 hours of sleep in over 2 days and I was cooked . We were at a flea market and I just told Keith I had to leave and get to the room NOW. He is a guy who never browses, does not like nick nacks but he was really in to looking at military memorabilia. After some pouting on my part we left and I got a short nap before we headed out for dinner.
My brother in law, Joe Betro, one of my very favorite people and an excellent relative, made reservations at this restaurant he had been to years ago called Botofumiero. Judy, Joe , Sal, Linda, Keith, and I had reservations for 10 pm. People eat late here! It was a fine dining establishment where most of the guests are locals. Good choice Joe. We started with prosciutto and melon and cannelloni stuffed with crab bathed in a cream sauce. Really good. The pasta was delicate but not mushy and crab is one of my favorites . For my entree I had filet of sole with prawns in a cava sauce . Cava is a Spanish sparkeling white wine, much like Champagne or Proseco. There was also a ton if butter in this sauce, I liked it . Keith always up for a new experience ordered the Sea Cucumber. Neither of us had ever had it and it was so good. The closest comparison would be squid combined with crab. I highly recommend it. We finished off the meal with chocolate gelato, a few orders of wild strawberries , and then
they brought us a tray of cookies and the lightest most melt in your mouth pieces if sponge cake I have ever tasted.
It was a lovely and memorable evening. 
That's all for now .  Posting pics of the cathedral, Gruel park, dinner and a special   portrait of Keith. More tomorrow. 
Love you Mom. 
Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment